Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Burning Out


Today I recognized myself burning out, so I decided to stay home for the morning. I am getting tired and snapping at people so yeah, the morning is just going to be spending reading, praying, napping, and finishing a couple things I haven’t been able to at the office.

I woke up in the middle of the night realizing that I have fallen back into the same trap of doing things myself. It’s really a crushing realization for me. It seems like when I am tired then that’s what I do - fix things myself. Lord help me.

Today I was reading in Luke about Anna and Simeon and their prophecies about the Messiah. The big thing that stick out to me was when the scriptures said “Anna never left the temple” - my overly-correct American brain starts thinking if that meant she slept there and was fasting for years at a time. In addition to being American, I was trained as a scientist and they are even more unnecessarily correct than most. Here I am distracted by the main parts of the story because of some details in the way that add basically nothing.

Additionally, I think we are trained to read the Bible wrongly, thinking in an overly-detailed way about the Hebrew or Greek meanings and conjugations and forgetting the main points and topics that are supposed to be the focus. 

I feel heartbroken realizing I am the problem…I have treated my employees like I want to be treated - be given a project and left alone to build, create, and make something amazing within loose bounds. I am finding that few people can operate like that. Things I have done right: found good, capable people. Developed a strong godly culture of accountability and putting people above projects.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment