Monday, October 1, 2018

Striking the Rock

I’ve been reading in Numbers where Moses strikes the rock. From all outward appearances this was a success - a miracle happened, all the people were provided for… But Moses himself was punished for the incident.

This concerns me because it means you can do ministry and be praised by everyone around but still do wrong and be on God’s bad side. Yes, feedback by the people around you is important but it’s not everything. A parallel Jesus verse would be “What good is it to gain the whole world but lose your soul?” It’s entirely possible to do miracles and cast out demons in God’s name but never know him.

It’s a difficult time here for us. Our projects are praised and the way we train up leaders, and we have a solid staff. But people die, needs go unmet, and we don’t have responses. Are we too focused on ministry and not on the people? Is that protecting the acorn or losing sight of the greater goal? As I told Carla, if I knew I was doing something wrong I’d instantly change it; if I knew I was doing right I would be able to trust in God, but when I’m not sure I’m doing the right thing my trust flounders.

I think this goes into being a good listener. Moses went to God but left understanding the wrong thing. We need to spend time understanding God’s perspective, slowly digesting His words, and not shoe-honing what He tells us into simple yes-nos of how we see the situation. I can so easily see this happen to me - I go to God with a problem, He says He’ll solve it with a rock so I jump up and go about obeying, not paying attention to exactly what He’s told me. Just like I can often miss what people are really saying because I haven’t really thought about it or it’s so different than what I am expecting.

Like Friday, when someone asked to go to church with me but in a Mozambican way. I only understood looking back on it, and only understood when I was already sitting in church. It happens often, particularly with Mozambicans. “Yes” and “...yes” mean the opposite so I can’t just pay attention to the words but the tone of voice and speed too - that it difficult for me.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment