Sunday, October 21, 2018

Reflection on Romans 12:2

 

Romans 12:2 “To not be conformed to the ways of this world; rather be transformed by the renewing of your mind.”

Nothing works the way the world thinks it does. Relationships ala a world don’t work. Finances don’t work. Families don’t work. We grow up understanding so many things wrong.

The good news is there’s an opportunity to change it all. The Bible is full of wisdom for every aspect of life, and every time we read it we have the opportunity to either stick with our old way of doing things or take the Bible route. The struggle is that, often times, we see few people doing it the right way, and it’s difficult to see that it works if you’ve never seen it done well. It takes faith.

Even with my family who loved and served God, there was a lot to faith that I had never understood and hadn’t seen modeled. The level of trust God asks us to have in him, the often extreme ways He provides for us, and the whole concept of adventure was absent in how I grew up. We served God but our lives looked fairly normal.  

Compare that to our lives now… I had no experience and no training in how to serve God off the grid - how to serve outside of the traditional church or missions environment. I found myself searching the scriptures for answers to the problems I was having. Often God would bring others around me to more clearly explain a biblical way of doing something. But in everything God was moving.

In a major way, I was really lucky. I knew our call was different and I didn’t have anything to compare it to, so I looked for the answer in scripture. Would I have done the same thing if I had been called to a more traditional position? Would I have chosen transformation and renewal as opposed to tradition and the way we’ve always done it? Maybe that’s the very reason God often calls people outside of the traditional church / Bible school structure.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment