Sunday, October 14, 2018

Be Ready

 Be dressed for service and keep your lamps burning, as though you were waiting for your master to return from the wedding feast. Then you will be ready to open the door and let him in the moment he arrives and knocks. The servants who are ready and waiting for his return will be rewarded. I tell you the truth, he himself will seat them, put on an apron, and serve them as they sit and eat! He may come in the middle of the night or just before dawn. But whenever he comes, he will reward the servants who are ready. -Luke 12:35-38

The servants who are ready will be rewarded… This is such an interesting passage. How would the people at the time have taken it? Servants, when their master isn’t around, typically act like the house is theirs… They watch TV, hang out, sometimes eat food from the kitchen or generally do what they want when they don’t have any specific task to do. But Jesus is saying there is a reward for those who are attentive, who are always looking for when Jesus will come back.

I think this applies to our daily life as well, not just when Jesus comes back. It’s important to be ready and waiting for God, whenever He wants to give us orders. God shouldn’t need to wait for us to be prepared - we need to already be prepared and waiting to follow His lead at a moment’s notice.

“He may come in the middle of the night or just before dawn” - I have rarely had God speak to me about doing something when it was the ideal time for me. Often when God places a burden in my heart, I am in the grocery store and it’s for another person, or I am really tired. Other times I just don’t feel like it. But that doesn’t stop the call of God - we always need to be ready to respond to His calling.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment