Thursday, February 7, 2019

If God is Really Big, Why Chase the Easy Things?

 

If you could choose any path,
why would you take the easy one?

You didn’t choose me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and bear lasting fruit, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, using my name. - John 15:16

This is our founding verse as Equip Mozambique and I was reflecting on it before one of our board meetings. After seeing so many temporary projects and results, we wanted something more permanent. We saw so many temporary fixes and people that had projects that looked good in photos but were really decaying on the inside and were not benefiting anyone.

“There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root” - Henry David Thoreau

I see our call as a call to deal with the biggest issues, the most profound problems of Mozambican society. I see it as permission to go after the issues that others turn a blind eye toward because they think it’s impossible to do anything about. Corruption? Widows and orphans in one of the poorest countries in the world? Lack of medical care? Bring it on. We are nothing and no one. However, we don’t make decisions based on our own capacity. We make decisions on the capacity of our God who is with us. And He is big. And if He really is big, why would we chase the easy things?



No comments:

Post a Comment