Sunday, December 2, 2018

Vision of My Idols

In prayer I realized I had been making an idol out of achievement. Everything else had taken second place to it, even relationships with God and my family. I justified it because what we are doing is for the Kingdom and many people are being helped. But it's not God's way and I had made an idol out of it.

I asked God to show me this idol in my life and I got a picture of a room. I was expecting a control room or other location where some steering is going on in my life, but this room seemed to be underground - like a hobbit hole. There were multiple rooms and they were filled floor to ceiling with junk, trash, and foul-smelling things. I was quite surprised that's what my idol of achievements looked like.
I asked God to clean it out, and slowly we started dealing with the buildup. As we got lower and lower through the junk, to my surprise I realized this wasn't just a couple of rooms, but a tunnel. Not only had I held up achievement as an idol but I used it to block people out of my life. We kept cleaning and I realized there were two lanes to this tunnel - some of the rooms were in one lane, some were in the other.
I started to realize why this place felt like it was underground and the lowest part of my life - we were cleaning out my connections to the Vine (John 15)- Jesus and the rest of the body of Christ. It's like I knew I was plowing ahead at an unhealthy speed so in order to not be discouraged by others, I blocked them out.
This tied in closely with the revelation a guy in my Bible study shared yesterday that connection to the vine is two-way - not only do you get life from the vine but you get garbage collection - the bad and rotten things get swept away to be dealt with in another part of the tree. By cutting myself off from others, I had unknowingly allowed tons of trash to start piling up in my life.
I am afraid that I won't have the same drive in life now that I have given my main tools up to the Lord. But I was putting achievement as more important than my relationship with God or what He wanted - like I was saying I'll sacrifice myself for the Kingdom of God when He wasn't asking for that. I also need to see accomplishment through God's eyes, not just through the world's eyes.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment