Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Greed

So put to death the sinful, earthly things lurking within you. Have nothing to do with sexual immorality, impurity, lust, and evil desires. Don’t be greedy, for a greedy person is an idolater, worshiping the things of this world.  -Colossians 3:5

For how often greed is discussed in the Bible, I think the church rarely talks about it. I also think it’s one of those other things the church tends to judge outsiders on - I have never once heard of someone talking to another church member about their tendency to be greedy, or confess greed in a prayer or confession time.

Confession time for me though - while I was reading this, I got distracted with an e-mail about laptop promotions! “Yes God, good word… I love your Bible, wonder what that scripture means… Ooh, new laptop models!” It’s disturbing, really - without greed I think our culture would just cease to function. Of course, we can thinly mask our greed with certain christian-ese: “blessing”, “hunger, “fruits”, “success”... What is even more maddening to me is that I can be talking about bearing fruit and making an impact, and the other person can be nodding and thinking we are on the same page where I am talking soul impact and they are thinking worldly influence.

I think it’s also disturbing the number of people I know who say they have a hard time worshiping. It’s a lot of people! However, the same people who have a hard time worshiping God often times have no problem worshiping a sports team or a new car. Maybe we are thinking about worship wrong. We don’t think of greed as worship, but the Bible says it is.



No comments:

Post a Comment